Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Tex Mex Chicken Chili

I tried a new (and very easy) recipe the other night that was an instant favorite. I got it out of Jake's staff cookbook... but will give it to you with our alterations:

Tex Mex Chicken Chili

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken cut into small pieces (The original recipe didn't specify cooked, but I did poach it.)
1 can (15 oz.) tomatoes with juice (home canned pint)
1 can black olives (omitted by the Dahls... I would have been eating all the picked out black olives...)
1 can black beans
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 cup frozen corn
1 onion, diced
peppers, if desired

(I added 2 cups of water at this point as we are more soup eaters than stew eaters. The original recipe was called "Chicken Chili Stew" and no water was added.)

Cook 7-9 hours in a slow cooker. Add cream cheese at the end if a creamier result is desired. (We didn't - just added shredded cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips at the table.)

Mmmm... Soups are so good! This seemed so healthy (at least until I added cheese and sour cream), and the kids loved it. Can't beat having supper ready to go by 8 am!

No comments: