Monday, June 27, 2005

In mama's footsteps

Our little boy is at camp tonight, four hours away from home. I went, too, when I was seven and loved every minute of it. I didn't realize then how hard it is for the mama at home- knowing that if their child needs them right this very moment... It would be four hours before I could be there. I don't think it would be as hard if he had a friend with him, or had made one before we left, but 'twas not the case. It seemed harder for him than usual, or than I thought it would be. Often he has a new buddy after a visit to the park or beach. His counselor did take him under his wing and they were headed out for a paddleboat ride when we left. I let Jake give the very final hug and "Have fun." I didn't want him to see his mama's tears.

He'll be fine...I'm sure. There's just not much sadder to me than a lonely heart.

No comments: