Saturday, May 07, 2005

Just warming up...

Though it is Saturday, the alarm went off early at the Dahl house. Jake and I brought the kids out garage sale-ing. In our house "garage sale-ing" is an active verb, meaning I actively participate in the activity as often as possible. There are strategies involved and much satisfaction at the end of a well-saled day. We did OK this morning, but broke one of the most important rules involved- arriving the first day of the sale. We did hit one stellar sale, which produced exceptional quality clothes for the next year (Ok, probably 2 years) of Noah's life, and in abundance as we walked away with 8 pairs of shorts, 4 t-shirts, 3 heavy hooded sweatshirts, 4 pairs of pants, a pair of snow pants and a pair of pajama pants, (21 items!) all for $26! Get this... Not only are there no holes in the knees, the pants all look as though they are right off the rack... Not even shaded with wear!!! Mind you, Doodle is coming up behind Noah, so the large quantity is taking into account the 50% survival rate of all clothes passed down.
Just warming up, you may ask... This coming Friday is the Garage Sale day to end all, as my friends Marti, Dolly and I will head out dawn to dusk and ravage the town of Woodbury until not a single worthy bargain is left in sight. It's become tradition to head over early (or even the night before) with lists, strong coffee(OK, only for me) and all unnecessary van seats ousted. It is the one day of the year I do... Well, it's kind of hard to admit, but yes, I do wear a fanny pack. (Is there a way to whisper in type?) I know, I know, it is a bit humbling, perhaps embarrassing to those who accompany me, but I tell ya', the arm mobility is worth every gasp, guffaw and giggle I must endure. (Besides, How do you fit 150 singles into a pocket?)
Well, I must nap now... I need to conserve energy for the big day. I assure you I will dream of defensive moves that will increase my chances at more deals. I'll keep you all posted.

No comments: