Wednesday, September 17, 2008

This blog will resume...

...right after canning is done!

I've been up to my elbows the past two weeks in tomatoes, applesauce, peaches and pears. I just love the feeling of having all this home-grown, organic-at-its-best food in our cupboard for the year but-whew- it's taking its toll! Today Lanman and I will be canning the applesauce and then spending the rest of the day outside. It's a day to savor- 75 and sunny. :) My fave.

Our little cherub is getting busier with each passing day. More determined and into whatever he can find. He's not walking yet, but can stand on his own. He's also considering the idea of giving up his morning nap. I knew this would be coming soon, but am not quite ready! He fusses when I lay him down in the a.m. and sleeps a little shorter each day. I guess there are pros to one long afternoon nap, too.

The older kids are just loving school. All three of them. Bella not only shows, but explains to me each problem she does on each worksheet she brings home. It's precious! Part of me soaks it in and part wants to shout, "OK! I get it! I know what patterns are after the tenth one!!!" (The first instinct is the external one.)
Doodle is his Daddy through and through. Nothing phases the boy. He's LAID back and goes with the flow. He's doing great with his school work and loving recess kickball games.

Noodle is really enjoying being in Jake's class. He told me that yesterday the two fifth grade classes opened the dividing wall for a science experiment. He said, "Mom, I just can't imagine being on the other side of the wall knowing my dad was over there spending time with the other kids and I didn't get to be one of them." We let him think about his initial assignment to the other class over the summer and were OK with him being in it- we LOVE the other teacher like an adopted grandma. Noah came to Jake and said he thought he'd rather be in Jake's class since this would be his only chance. It was a decision he got to make and the school didn't have a problem with it. This morning he said, "At first I just wanted you guys to decide for me because it seemed like a really big decision, but I'm glad you let me think about it and decide where I wanted to be. I'm glad I'm with Dad."
He's growing up so fast, but still our little boy.

4 comments:

Sarah Wroblewski said...

What deep and meaningful reflections for a fifth grader. Sounds like they are all doing great. If you have a great applesauce recipe I would love to give it a try this fall. Enjoy the rest of the week. I think it is supposed to be nice. How far are you from us?

Marti said...

Now don't go sharing our secret applesauce recipe with anyone! ;)

I think it's wonderful that Noodle gets to be in his Dad's class. Not many kids have that wonderful opportunity. Bet you enjoy parent/teacher conferences. (Bet Jake does too!)

I love you guys and miss getting to hear about this stuff in person.

busy bees said...

What a great way to enjoy a memory with dad. I know noodle is enjoying every day of this a great opportunity. Hope to meet with yous and see your new adventur . Good luck on canning.

Anonymous said...

This comment is for Jake - this is Matt, I worked with him at People to People in DC 2 years ago. I wanted to get in touch with him because we're both teaching 5th grade. Can you send him my email at masterling@powayusd.com? Thanks!