Friday, October 07, 2005

Retirement of the Coach

Soccer is over!!!

As a mommy, I love soccer. I love the fact that my kids love the sport. I love getting out of the house and watching them interact with other kids. I love watching their little bodies run around the field and their bright eyes dance when they do something well- and they know it!

However- this season my role of mommy shifted into that of coach for the other 8 kids on the team. Don't get me wrong- it's a volunteer organization and I am happy to have been able to do my part. I just didn't volunteer to be the head coach this time around and so resented that part of it. It was a boundary thing. Coaching #2 meant I didn't see #1 play until last night- THE last night. For. 5. Minutes. It meant our 3-year-old just kind of floundered onto and off of the field... Not really knowing what to do. There were rewards- as I got to hear calls of "Coach Molly!" and got tackled on one occasion by a big team hug gone wrong. The kids were precious, and I'll miss them. But...

I am looking forward to watching both of the boys in the spring. And skipping if we need to. And being there for Bella on the sidelines when she has to go potty. I'll appreciate my spectator role in a new light... And in a different season I'll be happy to slip on my coaching shoes again.

No comments: